Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Kamikaze Girls

I watched the movie Kamikaze Girls today. I was told it was a really funny movie, and it was. It was also a very nice story about these two girl's friendship. The two characters couldn't be more polar opposites - as one is Lolita Girl (they wear fancy cloths from the french Rococo Period) and the other is a Yanki, or delinquent girl which seems to be a step below Yakuza.

Anyway - even if you have no interest in Lolita or Yanki (I didn't) it's still a fascinating subculture of Japan, and helped really illustrate the differences in these two girls.

I also have to praise the art direction of movie. The landscapes and locations of the movie are stunning. I don't know how they got so many shots with such a beautifully styled sky either bright blue or setting in dawn or dusk - it just looked incredible.

Anyway, it was a very cool movie. Very different, but I think that was the entire point. Embracing differences.


No comments:

Post a Comment