Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Virtuality

I just watched Virtuality, which someone else in my family recorded on DVR. I wasn't that interested until I saw that Ronald D. Moore was the creator. As a die-hard Battlestar Galactica fan I decided I needed at least try the series. I was surprised by how much more complex and interesting the story was, beyond Virtual Reality gone wrong.

What I was most surprised about was the Captain's death in the first episode. Can you imagine the Next Generation if Picard upped and died on the first episode? That was a really unexpected twist. The story, up until that point, was a little hard to wrap my head around. But then, before I knew it, the story was BSG worthy, with a ship and crew ready to explode at a moment's notice. (That's very hard to do, convincingly have a series teetering on the edge, not go over the edge each week, and then convince you it's teetering again the following week. Very few shows do it well. Battlestar Galactica was one of those, in my opinion.)

There where only two things I took issue with. One was the reality show angle of the series. Not that isn't an interesting idea, but if you really tried that with a real 10 Year mission, then you might as well slit your wrists before it even begins. The other thing that bugged me were the gay duo cooks. I know TV is trying to make homosexuality more and more acceptable, but having such stereo-types on TV just isn't the way to go.

Anyway, it was a fantastic series opening. But, guess what... That's it! FOX didn't actual pick up the series, and instead ran this premiere pilot as a one-shot movie. Wow - FOX has actually done it! They have managed to find a way to cancel a series quicker than anyone ever imagined! Well done - a good day for evil indeed. (*Claps sarcastically*)

Humor aside, I can't fathom the kind of disappointment both the creators and fans must feel to see a potential pilot for a show air on TV and then, from the beginning, say that this is it. That wasn't even a TV-Movie, that was a sucker punch aimed viewers.

Seriously, if FOX even wonders why their ratings are dropping every year, this is the %^&#ing reason.

1 comment:

  1. Damn, I don't even remember seeing promos for that, and completely missed it. Shoot.

    ReplyDelete