Saturday, August 1, 2009

Doctor Who - New Fan

My Dad, Aunt and Uncle has been fans of Torchwood for a while now. I usually ignored it, as it seemed very confusing and hard to jump in. But then I watched the recent Torchwood mini-series, Children of the Earth -- and became very interested in the plot.

Anyway, the BBC was airing commercials for the new Doctor Who episode: Planet of the Dead. It looked interesting, and I was enjoying Children of the Earth, so I decided to give it a try. I have to say I'm very glad I did. I knew knew much about Doctor Who, no even about his time traveling phone booth (which I now know Bill and Ted totally ripped off Doctor Who). The current Doctor, David Tennant, seems like a wonderful actor and I like the aloof charm of the character. Apparently Tennant is due to leave Doctor Who, so I'll see for myself the transition of his regeneration powers. (Which to me seems a little like reincarnation. He's the same, but a bit different)

I'll definitely be tuning into new episodes. I think my Dad is sad that Torchwood ended, and I hope he might try Doctor Who, but he said he tried once and could never get into it. There don't seem to be any new episodes yet, but I'm going to be watching the reruns of Doctor Who on the Sci-fi Channel (Syfy, as they like to call it for who knows what reason)

One thing of note, I just have to mention, is that - while I understand and enjoy the episodes I've seen so far -- I find it very difficult at times to understand what the actors are saying, as their British accents are very thick. Sometimes I wish there was a translation. It's a minor quibble, but I found Torchwood easier to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment