Monday, December 14, 2009

Sunny in Philadelphia Christmas Special Unavailable on Netflix

I am pretty upset about something. See, my sister and I love the series "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia". We watch all the new episodes and have gone through most of the DVDs of previous seasons. It's a great show - with a twisted sense of humor that breaks the boundaries while always remaining hilarious.

That said - I am very annoyed about their DVD-Exclusive Christmas Special. Without this two-part episode, the season seems shorter - and we're limited to only being able to see this episode on DVD. I am certainly not shelling out $20 for a 45 minute episode. Much as I love the series, I just can't bring myself to buy something that, 1.) Should have been on TV to begin with, and 2.) Will probably be in the Season 5 DVD set.

So, the best solution is renting the episode. I have a monthly subscription to Netflix - so I'll just put it on my query. Wait - it's not listed on the site. I know this DVD special sort of snuck up on everyone, releasing seemingly out of the blue, I tell myself "so maybe it will be put up soon". I wait, and eventually call Netflix's customer service number (1-888-638-3549). Flash forward to December 14th, and Netflix still has not listed the disk. It was released in November, and there's no conceivable reason it shouldn't be listed on the site. I called four other times - eventually asking for some kind of compensation for the trouble I've been going through looking for this DVD. They said no, that they don't do anything for the customer in this kind of situation. I'm very much considering dropping Netflix over this. I more of less kept the monthly subscription for this very kind of rental situation. I sure as heck don't want to pay the $20 for this DVD - I'd rather rent it. But Netflix doesn't seem to be able to get their act together on this matter. Why should I keep renting movies at $15 a month?

On a whim I decided to check out Blockbuster's website. It always seemed like the lesser version of Netflix. Yet they seem to have come through on this one - they had the Sunny Christmas Special all ready to rent. Even more lucky for me, since I'm a new customer, I get a free two week trail.

It certainly has occurred to me that this might not be an error on Netflix's part - that perhaps Blockbuster has some sort of deal with the network to exclusively be able to rent this DVD. If that's the case - then I'm even more ticked off. It seems like an entirely crummy way to treat customers and the viewers. I can forgive them for wanting more money by having the Christmas Special on DVD in the first place. What I can't forgive is them making it so darn hard to be able to rent the episode.

1 comment:

  1. Never fear -- It will probably show up on YouTube eventually. Worth searching for, at least before someone complains and its pulled offline. ;-)

    ReplyDelete