Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Boycotting Southwest Airlines

It was pretty interesting to hear about the mess with Kevin Smith, being ejected from a flight, accused of being too fat to fit in the seats. (You can read about it here.)

Apparently a rep from Southwest Airlines got in contact with Smith to apologize, but it never sounded like a real apology, especially when they ended their apology with another mention about their Over Weight Passenger Policy. You can read about it here.

I'm glad Kevin Smith fought back against this using Twitter. Let's be honest, if this happened to anyone else, it wouldn't have made a wit of difference how they where treated - nobody would have heard about it or cared.

I was especially concerned with this story because I'm pretty much in the same weight category as Kevin Smith. I'm about the same size, and I can't imagine how mortifying it would be if something like this happened to me. I know I'm not too fat to fly, (which, admittedly, some people really are too big) but just the idea of being accused of it because I have a big belly. As long as those arm rests come down, you should be good to go.

Apparently Southwest Airlines just doesn't get how bad they appear. People are fed up with the high prices and inane policies of the airlines! Yet we need airlines, to get where we're going - so we can't boycott flying in general, right? So I say, let's boycott Southwest Airlines as an example. I'm going to, at least.

That said - I do feel the need to admit that I generally don't travel much to begin with. So it's not a big threat on my part. BUT - anytime I do need to get a flight, you can be sure as hell I'm going to avoid Southwest Airlines. I hope other people do the same.

1 comment:

  1. Southwest has also removed passengers over their clothing. The most recent one was a woman who's skirt and top combo they apparently found to be in violation of their "lewd, obscene or patently offensive" rule.

    Link:
    http://www.worldhum.com/travel-blog/item/southwest_airlines_veers_into_fashion_controversy_again_20070907/

    ReplyDelete