Saturday, April 17, 2010

Kick Ass

Roger Ebert called it morally reprehensible. The artist on the comic, John Rotmia Jr, said it was the most violent book he's ever drawn. Every media outlet was letting me know this was the most violent and horrible movie I could ever expose myself to.

It's really not. Honestly, the adaptation of "Wanted" was MUCH more violent than this movie. I almost opted out of going to this film, despite my love for comics and my enjoyment of Mark Millar's work. I'm glad I went. Seriously, the worst thing about this movie is probably the one above-adult swear a 10 year girl says - and that really means nothing once she starts cutting up bad guys.

And even the big time violent, stabbing, beatings, and gun shots - it's never drawn out unless germane to the plot, and even then the plot-line is quick enough to not let you dwell on the overly horrible things that happen in this movie. An example of what I'm trying to explain: when Hit Girl (the 10 year old assassin) cuts up a bunch of gangsters, many limbs are cut off. These wounds are barely seen after the initial cut, and aren't even overly bloody.

The real reason this movie, I think, got such a harsh response from critics, is because it involves a 10 year old girl doing bad things. I heard a lot worse than appeared in the recent movie Runaways.

Yes - 10 year olds should not be assassins. Yet this movie was clearly never advocating such a thing, and the concept was executed with more humor than anything else.

This movie was simply a laugh riot. Every poignant swear and overt assault often left the audience laughing. This was a funny, well thought out and smartly constructed movie. Just the pure concept, of an idiot deciding to really become a super-hero, is so seamlessly executed, that this movie can stand as the definitive take on the subject.

Although I'm a comic fan, and a Mark Millar fan, I didn't actually read the comic this movie was based after. I was told, even by the creators themselves, that the book was too violent. Whatever the comic was actually like - the movie adaptation seemed perfect.

Mind you, I'm giving this movie a lot of praise - but it is, indeed, violent. But never so violent or outrageous that I was ever offended or disgusted. (And, to be honest, I can be very squeamish with truly violent movies. I steer clear of Japanese Gore films, for example.)

The overly protective media and watchdog groups are simply overreacting to this film. It's indeed not for kids - but no where near as bad as Roger Ebert would have you believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment