Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Comic Review: Secret Avengers #1

When I first heard about Secret Avengers I didn't know what to think of it. So I waited until the cast line up was announced. Moon Knight? Valkyrie? Nova? Nothing against these characters, but it sounded like a gathering of D-List heroes. It simply didn't impress me. Then, for some reason, I began really liking this proposed group. Beast is definitely the biggest catch for the book, finally putting him where he can actually have some fun being a super-hero, instead of another officer in Scott Summer's mutant army. I like Moon Knight, read this book for about 20 issues or so - but it sort of still conflicted with me as to why he's on this book. It fits that he wants to be a Super-Hero, but I also remember Captain America, during the Civil War, specifically telling Moon Knight he didn't want his help because he was a murdering psycho. Unless something dramatic changed in that series, I believe Moon Knight can still be considered a murdering psycho. I can let it pass, though, on the basis that Steve Rogers is giving Moon Knight a second chance. Rogers is also giving the same second chance to the Irredeemable Ant-Man.

So, for whatever reason this team suddenly made sense to me - it still stood the test of being a fun comic, and one I'd want to read every month. Ed Brubaker is very good writer, but I have to admit I had soured on his stories when I stopped getting Captain America. There was absolutely nothing wrong with his stories or how he tells them, but something about it wasn't working for me anymore. This second try reading his stuff has proved fruitful, as this issue quickly sets up the new adventure Steve Roger's team is on, while also filling us in on how the group got together. I particularly liked how Steve compared the Secret Avengers to his time with the Invaders, making surgical strikes on the enemy to achieve their goals. That was a smart comparison to make, as Steve Rogers' name doesn't immediately come to mind when you think of black-ops adventures. Since he's no longer Captain America, with a little less spot-light on him, he has the chance to work with this kind of team.

Mike Deodato's art is good. His art always serves the story well, and while everyone does always seem to be stuck in "Super Heroic Stance Mode" - it comes off well enough in this book. I also liked the redesign of Antman and Beast's costumes.

You know why team books are usually so popular? You get a wider variety of Super-Heroes in a single book, essentially giving you more bang for your buck. Thats hasn't always been true of team books in recent years, with New Avengers and X-Men telling very specific tales using the characters. What I really like about Secret Avengers is that this book brings back that multi-hero sense of savings - as each character is given the spot light while not drowning out the narrative.

There is one major sticking point to this title, though, which I hope is corrected in the future issues. Beast has FOUR fingers - not five. I know this is a little detail to complain about, but I'd like to at least know that Mike Deodato has since been told of the problem, and perhaps can fix it for future issues. Beast has been through enough mutations. He doesn't need to go to sleep and wake up the next morning with more fingers. (Even if it is a returning digit)

1 comment:

  1. Excellent review of a terrific comic. Beast is a huge selling point for this book, Valkyrie even more so. Can't wait to see where it goes.

    ReplyDelete