Monday, May 16, 2011

Playstation Network's "Welcome Back" Package Disappoints

Update: Below is my reaction to the Playstation Network's "Welcome Back Package". I found it a bit underwhelming. Anyway - it seems like it might be a moot point for the moment, as the PSN is still having problems, with the store still down. It says here that the store will come back on May 24th. We'll see. I sure hope they decide to improve the Welcome Back Package, given all they are putting players through.

---------------------------------

The Playstation Network is back online! And Sony has been promising a "Welcome Back" Package to make up for the extended time the network was down. (Also, to help us forget that Sony lost all of our personal information like credit card numbers and passwords) Anyway - seeing as my credit card hasn't been illegally used - I thought maybe this could turn out to be a good thing, and maybe I could get some cool free stuff to make up for the hassle.

I really should have known better. For starters, the Playstation Store is still down in my area. Sony went out and announced that the PSN was back on-line. And indeed it is; except for the store. I can imagine that Sony is getting bombarded by similarly excited fans trying to access the servers all at once. I know they had some over-load in regards to re-setting everyone's passwords -- so that explains why the store might still be down a full day later. Wouldn't it have been smarter, though, to open up regions in stages - instead of just announcing "the PSN is available in America again!" -- because I just wasted my day checking every so often to see if the PSN Store was open again.

Turns out, though, there really isn't a reason I should be so eager to log-on to the store anyway - because Sony's announced Welcome Back Package isn't very good to begin with. I do realize - I'm being argumentative about stuff being given away for Free -- but I really was expecting something a whole lot better. Here's what's going to be made available to people.

"All PlayStation Network customers can select two PS3 games from the following list. The games will be available for 30 days shortly after PlayStation Store is restored and can be kept forever.
  • Dead Nation
  • inFAMOUS
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Super Stardust HD
  • Wipeout HD + Fury

For PSP owners, you will be eligible to download two PSP games from the following list. The games will be available for 30 days shortly after PlayStation Store is restored and can be kept forever.
  • LittleBigPlanet (PSP)
  • ModNation Racers
  • Pursuit Force
  • Killzone Liberation"

Again, as far as free stuff goes - many people will be very happy. Little Big Planet and Infamous are very good games. I should know -- I bought them. So immediately two games aren't very useful to me. Dead Nation looks like a top-down shooter... Not interested at all. Super Stardust looks pretty - but, again, it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I think I might enjoy Wipeout - but even with that, Racers aren't my first genre of choice. Oh, and I don't own a PSP - so that's useless to me too.

I then thought to myself - well, if I didn't own Infamous, this would be a pretty good deal. Yet you have to remember, all of these downloadable games require memory to store. I get the feeling something as big as Infamous might require a lot of memory. I'm one of the early PS3 adopters - with the "Fat" PS3, with 55GB of space. I have about 10 GB of space left -- so even if I wanted to, I might not even be able to download a game like Infamous.

It really all boils down to this - which would have been a much better offer to already annoyed fans -- let them pick the games they want to get to free! Or at the very least, offer more than 5 games!

Sony is just really letting me down over this entire ordeal. I thought I might have a little more restored faith in them, if they really could compensate us all for the trouble we've experienced. But, really, only 5 games? I'm not exactly singing Sony's praises right now...

2 comments:

  1. I also think the package is disappointing!!! Give us all 5 games I say! And better ones!!! I was hoping for much better games, and some people have multiple accounts and can download everything while the rest miss out??? Very poor Sony, still I'll never pay for online gaming fees. If Sony charges it's back to the pc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posting free games to every ps3 owner would be far to costly and problematic, the only way to give free games is via download. How about fattening my purse with 100 bucks Sony???? That's reasonable for staying loyal don't you think..... This is not a democracy!!!

    ReplyDelete