Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Gwen Stacy: Back from the Dead?


I could be utterly and completely wrong about this - but it suddenly struck me: I think Marvel is going to bring Gwen Stacy back from the dead, in the main Spider-Man Universe!

UPDATE: I was wrong -- Gwen isn't coming back from the dead. Dan Slott, himself apparently, left this comment:
Slott: Sorry. But I'm nipping this one in the bud. I've been very clear on this matter many times in the past. As long as I'm on the book and have ANY say on the matter, Gwen stays dead. 
The closely guarded development taking place in ASM #700 will NOT be a retcon.  
It will NOT the undoing of another story. 
It is going to be something NEW. 
:-)
WOW! That is awesome that Mr. Slott even saw my blog, let alone responded to it! Now it really makes me wonder what they planned in store Amazing Spider-Man#700!

Well, my speculation below is now debunked. For posterity, here's what I was originally thinking, which you can read down below. I might have wasted my time - but I got a response from Dan Slott for my trouble! Awesome!


Comic Book Resources put out a video interview with Dan Slott, where he announced that there will be a MAJOR change to Spider-Man's universe in Amazing Spider-Man #700! Apparently the ramifications of the ending of Avengers vs X-Men are also going to change the Marvel Universe. Slott stressed that this was in no way a reboot -- but I think, with the Scarlet Witch and the Phoenix Force in play, the very fabric of the Marvel Universe could easily be rewritten.




I was trying to think about it - what could be so big, that it would change Spider-Man's world forever? The death of Gwen Stacy had the most lasting impact on Spider-Man's world; so much so that, even though there has been a great temptation return her to life - the impact and meaning of her death simply outweighed a return ever happening. Marvel, of course, have somewhat cheated on this issue - Clones of Gwen Stacy kept popping up, and even a secret daughter was revealed that looked just like her; all of which was not greeted well by fans.

They mention that other creators, on other books, had to be made aware of these changes to Spider-Man -- which doesn't completely mesh with my theory; unless Spider-Man's supporting cast are an issue in other titles.


Yet it feels so compelling - and Marvel has even previously considered an alteration of the universe to bring Gwen back alive; The beginning of Brand New Day featured the return of Harry Osborn, and it was discussed (but ultimately rejected) about bringing Gwen back as well.

I keep thinking, though - they might be insane enough to try and do it! Although Spider-Man sells well, it hasn't been selling in the Top 10 each month. (Its helped, though, that it sells two issues a month) Ultimate Spider-Man, with the new kid Miles Morales, kicked up sales of the Ultimate Spider-Man title, but have sunk back down once again; hence the upcoming mini-event "Spider-Men" - having Morales and the 616-Peter Parker meet. Marvel have also been increasingly gravitating towards big events, like the Death of Johnny Storm, and Ultimate Peter Parker. After Johnny Storm returned alive, not even a year later; I think the effect of comic book death-events has run its course (for now, at least). Looking over at DC, where they are having good success rebooting their entire universe - I believe the changes in store at the end of Avengers vs X-Men, and Amazing Spider-Man #700 are a direct reaction to DC's sudden surge in sales.


With Emma Stone portraying Gwen Stacy in Amazing Spider-Man - it's not hard to see why Marvel might consider this decision.

I have to wonder, though - if I'm correct (which I might not be) - would bringing Gwen back really be a good move in the long run? While Mary Jane filled the role of Spider-Man's love interest for many, many years - the move to make Peter Parker single again seems hampered by the idea of Gwen being in his life again. Even when he was married to Mary Jane - fans have always contended that it was really Gwen who was real love of Spider-Man's life. And it's true -- Peter and Gwen where seriously considering marriage. Spider-Man famously even tried to rid himself of his Spider-Man powers, in #100, all so he could be with Gwen. (The serum he took had a decidedly reverse effect, where Peter grew 4 extra arms!) I'm not saying, if she returned, marriage would be at the top of their priority list (HOW she came back from dead would probably be a more important subject) - but they where certainly serious about it before her death.


In the pages of Ultimate Spider-Man they killed off Gwen Stacy - which surprised a lot of fans, who thought it was a mistake to remove her from what was suppose to be a clean-slate Spider-Man universe - not beholden to old continuity. It was sort of corrected -- Gwen was cloned - and unlike her 616 Clone counterparts, this one seemed to stick around.


Besides trying to garner attention and possibly tie into the movie -- why is Gwen's death considered so sacred? I think its because it was somewhat considered an ending to the Silver Age - (which began in the 60s when Marvel Comics rose to prominence). Gwen, actually, was sort half-handedly allowed to die - the impact of her death not even really being thought of as that huge. I suppose it was also a loss of innocence, on reader's part. Those who began reading Marvel in the 60s as little kids, or collage students, where by then more grown up. Gwen's death, especially with her neck snapping - became a question of wether, if the fall hadn't killed her, did Spider-Man trying to save her actually cause her death?

I could be totally wrong about all of this. It's just speculation on my part. But if Marvel really wanted to shake things up in Spider-Man's world - the real return of Gwen Stacy would certainly qualify as seismic.

10 comments:

  1. Sorry. But I'm nipping this one in the bud. I've been very clear on this matter many times in the past. As long as I'm on the book and have ANY say on the matter, Gwen stays dead.

    The closely guarded development taking place in ASM #700 will NOT be a retcon.
    It will NOT the undoing of another story.
    It is going to be something NEW.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In reply to Slott: Sorry, I guess I hadn't read interviews where you responded to this idea.

      Thanks for replying to blog, even if it was to debunk my theory!

      Delete
    2. Mr. Slott,
      Why are you so insistent the Gwen has to stay dead? She is my favorite love interest of Peter's, and I really enjoyed her appearances in the Silver Age and House of M. Also, if she is ever brought back, I would empty my wallet and buy multiple issues to support the endeavor.

      -Anonymous

      Delete
    3. Mr Slot,
      Why can't you notice is something very important to us that you bring back Gwen.Her Appearances with Peter are really amazing. And many people will love to see her come back.

      Delete
  2. Marvel just can't admit that they made a mistake in 1973, namely letting a 19 year old kid (Gerry Conway) totally ruin the greatest comic book/graphic novel of all time. What's incredible is that they are far too ignorant/arrogant to see the potential: the Police said that they would NEVER play together again, yet their reunion tour 2007-2008 grossed almost $360 million. That is more money than the band made on tour 1977-1986, even adjusted for inflation. Bringing back Gwen Stacy would be one of the biggest events in comic book/graphic novel history, and spark an interest that has long vanished in fans for decades. Since they refuse, I must surmise that Marvel has far too much money. I know, artistic integrity, it's been too long, etc.

    Whatever...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed as well! Comic book creators typically have a lot of respect for the source material, but what they don't realize, or are not brave enough to act on, is that Gerry Conway screwed over the source material. Stan Lee/Ditko/JRSR created a masterpiece, and from extensive reading it's clear that the fans hated it 40years ago when Gerry flushed Gwen.

      Delete
  3. I hafta to agree with Kandou Eric....I thought that would be the "seismic" reveal too...the return of Gwen - just when something happens to Peter or Aunt May in #700...especially just after seeing the recent movie and following Spider-Man for almost 30 of the 50 years! I think it would have been interested in seeing a new, up-to-date 2010's version of a love triangle play out between Gewn/Peter/ and MJ. There would be enough stories there to take ASM to 800 and beyond!

    And, to thrown in two more cents that are probably not merited...maybe Peter's parents come back into the picture somehow....all the players are in the current picture and current issues, if the comic book is following the movie storyline....The Lizard, Hobgoblin, Kraven is lurking out there, maybe the Jackal is too, the Scarlet Spider...maybe the Kingpin plays a role somehow....keep flying high off the movie and AvX plot threads? Intrigued to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I don't get it. You marvel guys rebooted the movie franchise, so reboot his love life in the comics as well. I was a fan of MJ for a while, but then I got so bored of her fake fashion design lifestyle. Heck* I prefer Carlie Cooper over her right now. I've never experienced "Gwen Stacy", all I know is that she died while falling off a bridge. I believe it's not fair to the new generation of fans what you're doing. I admire what you've done with the franchise so far; but I'm telling you that a Gwen Stacy return is really needed. Guess what? I choose not believe a word of what you say Mr Slott.

    ReplyDelete
  5. after watching Amazing Spiderman 2, I have decided not to watch the next part as the great chemistry between gwen and peter is broken (which actually was the charm of the reboot) and i am not the only one forum, reviewers are agreed upon it, they did not know what to do with gwen but we can do alot of things now, never saw lois lane dying in superman and thats why its a super hit and no one can reach its fame, now spdierman has lost many fans new generation came to know about spiderman after watch the spiderman movies and comics and movies are made for fans so you gotta listen to fans

    ReplyDelete