Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Dragon Quest X


I do not like MMORPGs (Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Games). Given their immense popularity, I've on occasion tried some, to see what everyone was talking about. For me, it's basically the combination of a monthly fee, and also not being able to play the game after the servers have dried up, and the company has moved on. There is the one exception I'm making in my life, though, and thats going to be for Dragon Quest X. If it has a pay subscription (it does in Japan), then its the one title I'm going to go all-in on.

Dragon Quest, besides being a pop-culture hallmark of my favorite foreign country - it has a good deal of resonance for me, as it was one of my first NES games - and the first (and only) time my Dad participated playing a game with me. Not only that, but its a classic-style of gameplay that has stood the test of time - and has always been a fun series to play.

A US Release date for Dragon Quest X hasn't been announced, but a promising hint, was revealed in a press release.
"This might be an hint to a possible western release. Why mentioning that the series is “actively expanding” in the foreign market in a press release related to Dragon Quest X, if you aren’t planning for it to be part of that expansion?"
So far Nintendo and Square-Enix have yet to let us down on a US Release of the main series, and accompanying side-titles. It takes time, though, to properly translate the series to english. An MMORPG is a much larger thing - but I have confidence it will be brought to America. (The Wii U, frankly, needs all the new quality titles it can get)

If released over here, we'd likely get the Wii U version, which is releasing in Japan soon. Its exactly like the regular Wii version, but with HD Graphics. Add in the touch screen, which can handily be used as a keyboard, and I think it will be a great experience for players. Here, below, is a trailer for Dragon Quest X on the Wii U.



I don't know a whole lot about what to expect from the series, but from all that I've heard - it blends traditional roleplaying with MMORPG mechanics. I can, however, give you an idea of what the story is going to be about. Titled Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku, or "Rise of the Five Tribes" - the story has your character transformed into one of 5 different races.


The different races include Ogres, Wedi, Elves, Dwarves, and the cute and adorable wee-little Pukuripos. They all feature different strengths - Ogres are obviously more physical in battle, Dwarves excel with machines, and Pukuripos excel in magic.


The game features an extensive storyline, being regularly updated - with plans, I've heard, extending for 10 years. Japan loves Dragon Quest, and this game isn't going to become obsolete for a very long time. Given the amount of money put into this series, I'd think it would be a shame, both financially and creatively, to not expand into the worldwide market. Plus, given that this is a Nintendo-Exclusive game - it gives players the first unique chance to join an MMORPG, exclusively through a console (instead of a PC). While Dragon Quest isn't as popular in America, its been making significant in-roads -- and this could be the type of game to rival World of Warcraft, for more casual players, uninterested in the complexities of a PC set-up.

I hope the series get a US release, and that it is announced soon. Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Amen!!!!! Bring it to the US!!!

    ReplyDelete